Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Generation Gap

Image courtesy of steemit.com

Has anyone else been following any of the social media reels and/or videos about the generation wars?  First off, why do we need to be fighting amongst ourselves; but that's a topic for another day.

What appears to be happening is that some members of Gen Z (born between 1997 and 2012) are antagonizing members of Gen X (born between 1965 and 1980).  In particular, a Gen Z girl posted a reel saying that Gen X was "the worst generation."  

This triggered a multitude of Gen X social media influencers (John Kotrides, The Real Slim Sheri, Graeson McGaha, etc.) to respond with reasons why Gen X people are the way we are.  Raise your hand if any of the following create a wave of nostalgia or a surge of PTSD in your heart:

  • Goonies
  • Walkman
  • Dodgeball
  • Bike ramps made of cinder blocks and scrap lumber (with no helmets)
  • The Merry Go Round (not the carnival ride)
  • Babysitting by age 10
  • Buying cigarettes for your parent(s)
  • Saturday morning cartoons
    • Bugs Bunny
    • Scooby Doo
    • The Grape Ape
    • Johnny Quest
    • Speed Buggy
    • Popeye
  • Red Rover
  • Schoolhouse Rock
    • Conjunction Junction
    • I'm Just a Bill
  • See-Saws
  • Metal Slides (bonus points for a tornado slide)
  • Heads Up 7-Up
  • After School Specials
How many of you ever heard at least one of these from your parents:
  • Quit crying or I'll give you something to cry about
  • Walk it off
  • Rub some dirt in it
  • I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it
  • If your friends all jumped off a bridge, would you do that too?
  • Don't come in until dark
Wow, that was a nice little trip down memory lane, wasn't it?

I am young enough to remember when I thought 40 was old, and now I find myself at age 57 thinking that 40 is young.  Anybody with me?

Image courtesy of cheezburger.com

This came home to me soundly when I started working part-time at our local Fareway Meat & Grocery store.  Like most grocery stores, there are a lot of teenagers employed at Fareway.  I work one evening per week and Saturday mornings.  Particularly on the week nights, I find myself to be the oldest person on the payroll.  So much so that I have been dubbed Mother Fareway by my younger coworkers.  

I cannot count the times when I have said something that another Gen X'er would either laugh with me or cry with me about, but from my Gen Z coworkers I get blank looks.  Let me elucidate:
  • Book covers
  • Paul Revere
  • Manual transmission
  • Floppy disks
  • Cursive
  • Passing notes in class
  • Pay phones
  • Cigarette Machines
  • Road atlas
  • Disposable cameras
Image courtesy of redeemedreader.com

Then again, there was one time when I was shocked by someone from the generation before me:

Me:    Your total is $19.88....hey, 1988, that's the year I got married!
Customer:    Then you're just a newlywed
Me:    Okay...we'll be married 36 years in September.
Customer:    My husband and I have been married 65 years, how about that?
Me:    That's amazing!  I hope we last that long.
Customer:  I never thought he'd live this long...
Me:    ...???...
Customer:    Have a nice day!
Me:    What the hell??

To go back to the social media generation war, what I've decided is that the Gen Z influencers are not indicative of their entire generation.  Not all Gen Z's are entitled, lazy, self-centered or whatever negative label chosen to be assigned to them.  

However, I am pretty sure the Gen X influencers are, in fact, indicative of their entire demographic group:  strong work ethic, don't care what others think about them, don't really talk about their feelings, and loyal.

Image courtesy of instagram.com/totally80sroom

Oh yeah, and HAD THE BEST DANG MUSIC E-V-E-R!!
  • Under Pressure
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
  • Don't Stop Believing
  • Now I'm a Believer
  • Sweet Caroline
  • Danger Zone
  • Living on a Prayer
  • Walk This Way
  • I Love Rock-N-Roll
  • Mony Mony
Well okay, I've had a good enough trip down memory lane; I need to go take my Geri-Tol now.  And THERE...that's another one that the young whippersnappers at Fareway didn't know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment