Friday, October 9, 2015

Beer, Wine...or Bourbon Balls?



I tend to approach anything in life with the theory Go Big or Go Home.  I never did learn the fine art of moderation.  How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?  Licks?!?!  Chomp that sucker!  Savor a meal?  Hell no...inhale it.  If I buy a new book, there is no read a chapter and then do something else.  I’ll stay up until 2 a.m. to finish it.  


And drinking...yeah, there’s a conundrum.  I don’t drink often, but when I do, it comes under the heading of “one is too many and ten isn’t enough.”  


I may look like a girl, talk like a girl, and act like a girl...but I don’t drink like a girl.  None of that frou-frou stuff with umbrellas and funky names.  If you want me to drink wine, it will only be in a setting involving a priest, pews, and prayers.  Blech!


That doesn’t mean I like beer, however.  It would have to be an extremely hot day and an ice cold can for me to consume a beer.  Even then, I will probably only drink half of it.  




Vodka is not my friend at all, although I am told I once thoroughly enjoyed a night filled with Bullfrogs.  That’s vodka and lemonade, in case you were wondering.  I wasn’t actually eating frogs.  


Years ago, a good friend of mine was on a pool league in Kasson, and I went to Pete’s Repeat one night to cheer her on.  Pete’s had a drink on their menu called Swampwater.  That’s exactly what it looked like, too...mud brown...but it went down like Kool-Aid, so I got down about three too many before I realized it.


So what IS my poison of choice?  Bourbon, thank you very much.  None of that rot-gut crap, either.  Top shelf bonded and banded Kentucky bourbon that goes for about $45 a bottle.  




I can lay the blame for that right on one of the residents I used to work for who brought me a bottle of Basil Hayden as a hostess gift once.  Thanks, Fernando, appreciate it!


So when I got my latest issue of Cook’s Country and saw a recipe for Bourbon Balls on the inside back cover, I was delighted!  I finally finished making them the other night, after being interrupted by Captain’s head wound medical emergency over the weekend.  


Holy booze fest, batman!  The recipe makes 24 one-inch balls with 6 tablespoons of bourbon between them.  Friends, that is a half a cup of bourbon total or the rough equivalent of one shot per ball.  As a go-for-the-gusto person, I am here to tell you to enjoy these, but please consume them in moderation!!




BOURBON BALLS
2-½ cups (6 ounces) vanilla wafers -- about half a box
1 cup pecans, toasted
½ cup (2 ounces) powdered sugar
6 tablespoons bourbon
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1-½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup granulated sugar


Process vanilla wafers and pecans in food processor until finely ground, about 15 seconds.  Transfer to large bowl.  Stir in powdered sugar, bourbon, corn syrup, and cocoa powder.  


Working with 1 heaping tablespoon at a time, shape mixture into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.  Transfer balls to a large plate and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.  

Luckily, I have learned over time to limit myself now to one drink per social event, or one bourbon ball per night, because living large doesn’t mean living stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment