Sunday, January 24, 2016

Fishing Widow

For the next few days I will be a fishing widow.  And that’s okay.  I have plans for my ME time.

One thing I hadn’t planned on was chasing steers.  We haven’t had a beast out in months, so of course, three of them chose this morning to take a stroll around the property when Captain was trying to get all the last minute preparation for his trip taken care of.  But we got them back in with a minimum of muss or fuss in plenty of time.

I know that some wives may--in some small part of their minds--resent when their husbands are gone on extended hobby-related trips.  Not me.  I love Captain with everything I’ve got...honest, I do.

However.

A few days without him around gives me the freedom to do as I choose.  


Things I am going to do while he is gone:

  • Bake a meatloaf and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until it’s gone.
  • When it’s gone, I’ll eat cereal for supper and ice cream for breakfast.
  • Make coffee stout enough to stand a spoon up in it.
  • Eat take out Chinese.
  • Wear my pajamas every minute that I’m not at work.
  • Watch reruns of Bones until 3 a.m.
  • Read a book from cover to cover without stopping for anything but bathroom breaks.
  • Sleep with the fan on.
  • Listen to iHeart Radio from dawn to dusk and beyond.

Things I won’t do:
  • Make the bed.
  • Organize the plates by color and pattern when I unload the dishwasher.
  • Turn the damn news on.
  • Read a paper.

See...life will be a little slice of heaven for me these next few days.

Will I miss him?  Absolutely!  He’ll call every day to say hi and make sure nothing catastrophic has happened.  Not that he would be able to do anything about a catastrophe if it did.  Besides his brother will be in and out doing chores and keeping an eye on things, so all will be well.


I guess I won’t be truly alone these few days.  Mama Bear, Cubby, Princess, and Milly (Captain-s mom) are coming over tonight for chicken alfredo and wine.  I have to work onsite one day so I’ll be out and about that day as well, on top of bowling.

But I will actually enjoy having my space all to myself for while.  I wouldn’t be able to do it longer than a few days, but a short space of time with no one to answer to is okay.

Part of that is because I know that he is enjoying himself immensely while he is away.  This is his fourth...maybe fifth...year going with Uncle Johnny to a resort on the Canadian border.  They fish, drink beer, tell outrageous lies and dirty jokes, eat fish, and generally have a good time being men.

This year, Captain is especially excited because Young Man is going along for the first time.  He is hoping for some good father-son bonding time during this trip.  It will either be that or they’ll come home not speaking.  It could go either way.  


I’m so glad he can take the time to do something that he enjoys so much but I don’t enjoy.  I’m glad Uncle Johnny started including him in this trip.  I’m glad that we are both comfortable being apart for a few days.

And, boy oh boy, I am glad the meatloaf I have in the oven is ALL MINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment