Friday, October 21, 2016

Harvest Happenings

Image result for teamwork quotes

I am feeling like I am not doing my fair share in the harvest of 2016.  Captain’s been at it for a couple of weeks, and I have not had to run for parts or even take lunch to the field.  

Of course, it’s early days yet, and now that I’ve said that...next week I’ll have to run for parts three out of seven days and deliver meals every day.  But I’d be okay with that!

Harvest started out so well with good yields and no breakdowns.  That all went to hell last Thursday, and it’s been nothing BUT breakdowns since then.  A clutch in the feeder house and two different bearings went kaput...all on separate days.  One day he was stuck in the mud, and then next day when he went to get the ripper out and do some tillage...it was leaking oil all over everywhere.  

Captain always likes to show me or tell me what part is broken or what piece he has to fix.  I understand that he is trying to make me feel involved and part of the whole process, but really, he could be speaking ancient Greek because it means nothing to me.  

I have NO idea what a feeder house clutch is...or even what a feeder house is, for that matter.  I know what a bearing is, but when the combine has multiple bearings...I have no idea which one he is talking about.

Trust me... showing me the broken or fixed part is not any better.  He showed me a worn bearing, and to me it was a piece of green metal with spinny parts on it.  Oh, and a dent where there shouldn’t have been a dent.

If it ain’t one thing, it’s half a dozen others, ain’t it?!

Image result for teamwork quotes

I am in charge of Calf Country again.  Louie the Little has moved on from the hutches to the young stock pens, so I only get to see him if I make a special trip over there and call him.  He will come running if you holler his name.  He’s still a cutie!

I also watch Cubby on Saturdays while Mama Bear and Young Man are working overtime at their respective (and competing) elevators.  She keeps me on my toes!

Image result for toddler mine

Her new word o’the day is “mine.”  She will literally pick up every toy or stuffed animal in their house, show it to me, glare at me, and emphatically say, “MINE!”  You know, because I’m a convicted teddy bear thief and might make off with something when she isn’t looking.  

I did ride with Captain to the elevator one night when he took the semi in to dump a load of beans.  My guy is a whiz at a lot of things like welding, mechanics, math, and raising dairy steers.  Driving an 18-wheeler...not so much.  

Image result for grain semi

It was a hairy ride, my friends, let me tell you.  I love my guy, but the grinding gears and the super extra wide turns that brought us perilously close to the center line or ditch had me holding my breath.  But we got there and back in one piece, so it was all good.  

Luckily, Captain got all the parts he needed--albeit over the course of several days--and has everything all fixed up now.  This makes him a much happier camper and easier to live with!

As always in this busy harvest season, please be safe out there, pals of mine!

Images used:
http://www.quoteshunger.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Mother-Teresa-Together-Quotes.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3WwZkSBNDk3HM7oeuhc9kMaqQagPT1iAb25EbftYO3LFQUbAu
http://www.thetshirtgame.com/toddler_rules.gif
https://iafarmwife.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/2010-1017-semi-blog.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment