Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Free Spirit


I am an extrovert and do not apologize for it.  If I wasn't an extrovert...I wouldn't be doing this blog, now, would I?  Riddle me that!

Captain is not an extrovert by any stretch of the imagination.  That's okay.  He is who he is and we love him for it.  However, he can be uncomfortable with my outgoing ways.  Actually, my whole family can be somewhat put out by it.

For instance, if I am driving along and I notice an interesting or unique aspect of someone's landscaping, I have been known (ask Molly) to whip into the driveway and knock on a complete stranger's door to ask what that plant is out there or where they got that statue.  Molly was mortified!

My theory is, if you don't ask the question, you will never get the answer.  Can I get an amen?!

The other trait that has dominated my life in the last year is what Captain describes as being a free spirit.  I had it come home to me hard last summer that you are not promised tomorrow in any way, shape, or form so if there is something you want to do or say, you better do it now or might not ever get the chance.

Thus the whole bucket list thing I talked about earlier and how I wanted to learn about geocaching.  You wouldn't believe the flak and ribbing I've gotten from those near and dear to me about this new pursuit.

Case in point:  yesterday Captain, Millie, and I were going to meet Captain's brother and wife for lunch in Rochetser but on the way, Captain wanted to stop at the field that used to be my Gramma's so I could take a picture of him in the corn that was more than knee high on the Fourth of July.

I was perfectly happy to do that because I like doing the crop tour drives in the summer.  An added bonus was that there was a cache just down the road across the road from where my Gramma used to live.  I thought that was pretty dang neat so I made him stop.

Captain helped search...sort of...while Millie watched.  I found the cache and was most excited about it.  Nobody else was and I detected a definite smirk on Captain's face.  Again, that's okay.  This is outside of the box where he is comfortable, and I can respect that.

When I registered for the free basic membership at geocaching.com, I was bamboozled by the sheer number of finds within minutes of my house, as depicted by the map below.  This is CRAZY, say I!!



All those green dots were way too much for my little brain, so I tried to narrow it down some.  I accidentally stumbled across a series of 100 caches all within Olmsted County that were all placed on or near road signs.  The name of the series was Everywhere A Sign and then there was a number from 1 to 100.  The number in the cache name connected to the road sign it was placed on or near.  For instance, Everywhere A Sign 14 was on a sign on County Road 14.  Everywhere A Sign 74 is on a sign on County Road 74.  Get the pattern? 

The other night, Captain had to milk and I had time on my hands, so I went on a search.  I ended up making a loop from the junction of County Road 5 NW and 75th Street NW and ending up right back there by way of Pine Island, Oronoco, and Byron.  BTW...I can drive in a straight line; I just can't draw a straight line!


That loop that I made netted me four or five finds.  The rest of them are out there, if you look at this map that the Geocaching website nicely put together for me.


I guess the geocaching thing for me is going to be like ice fishing is for Captain.  He doesn't ask me to go with him, and I won't ask him to go with me!  We'll both be happier I think.  

I hope that you let your inner free spirit out once in awhile and do what is in your heart!

Image taken from https://pics.onsizzle.com/whatever-is-good-for-your-soul-do-that-free-spirited-14525382.png

No comments:

Post a Comment