Thursday, February 21, 2019

Remembering Bear

Photo courtesy of Tanya's Adoption Network

Hello, all.  Dipstick the Dog here.  I asked Mrs. Captain if I could have the blog today so I could say thank you to everybody who sent condolences to me and Dayzee on the death of my father and her husband, Bear.

Bear lived an awfully good life.  When the Captains moved back here to the home farm in 2007, they brought Dayzee with them.  Bear was living at the neighbor's and, being a good neighbor, he came to welcome the Captains and Dayzee to the neighborhood.

It was love at first sight, and he never left after that.  He stayed here with his one true love, Dayzee, for the next 12 years.  He never said, but I know he was a proud father as well. 

My family and I have enjoyed so much quality time together barking at leaves, brainwashing cats into thinking they are dogs, chasing cars, and watching the Captains chase cattle.



Bear was the lucky one of the bunch who had the softest coat thanks to his Labrador genes.  He loved to be petted and was actually sort of a pest about it.  Young Man Captain used to pick Bear up and hold him like he was a baby even though Bear weighed over 75 pounds.



We will miss Bear around here, especially Dayzee.  I was worried about her the first few days after Bear died; she grieved kind of hard.  She seems better now, though, but she is showing her age more than ever.

As the new "man of the place," I have taken over Bear's duties of walking with Captain to do his chores and feed the calves.  I'm trying to like being petted as much as Bear did, but I"m not a touchy-feely kind of dog so I'm struggling with that.

Barking at leaves isn't nearly as much fun without Bear, so I've mostly given up on that nightly activity.  Mostly I am guarding the barn and watching over Dayzee.  These snowy days are good for curling up in the straw bed in the barn and napping.

Image courtesy of Bully Rescue & Advocacy Group, Inc.
Again, thank you to everyone who sent their sympathies.  Good friends like you make hard times like this easier.

Until next time,
Dipstick

No comments:

Post a Comment