Friday, May 3, 2019

Flashback Friday

I saw a post on Facebook recently that took me back in time to my tween years.  It was a note handwritten on a piece of paper that had then been folded up into a sturdy little triangle.  Once it was all folded up, you could balance it on one of its points with the straight edge facing you and flick it so that it would fly across the room...hopefully to whomever you intended to receive it.

Photo courtesy of Reddit.com

Woe betide the person who aimed poorly and had it land on the teacher's desk!

I also used to know how to fold a piece of paper up into a self-contained rectangular envelope.  My mom taught me how to do that.  Man, she was wicked creative!!  I think she had one of those saved in her 8-ball file so she could always go back and remember how to do it. That original one got discarded in one of Mom's recent moves.  I tried to sit down and figure it out again, but I couldn't for the life of me get it right.  So what does any good American citizen do when she can't remember how to do something from her childhood?

She Googles it!  And, as always, Google provided the answer.  I would never be able to explain it as well as this web page, so I'll just leave this here for you to play with. 

Did anyone else's mom (or dad) have an 8-ball file?  This was a manila folder that was filled with off-color cartoons, really good clean jokes, and weird stuff like the self-contained envelope.  This file was not to be confused with the file folder that held all of the Ann Landers' columns with diatribes against teenage sex, drinking and driving, and rock-n-roll!

Who else knew how to fold up a piece of paper into a little fortune-telling contraption?  Do you remember what I"m talking about?  Better than an 8-ball!  Pretty sure my Mom showed me how to to do that, also.

Photo Courtesy of SkipToMyLou.org

Seriously....she was wicked creative in her day!

She used to help us make book covers out of paper grocery bags (back before the insidious plastic bags).  Even better was when she'd help us make a book cover out of pages from our atlas.  No one else in my classes had book covers as good as mine!

Do kids even use book covers anymore?  Or, I guess the question is, do they even use books or is it all done on iPads and electronic devices?  How sad.

Oh my gosh...this just popped into my head.  Tinker Toys!  Who had tinker toys?  How about a Lite Brite?  I played with my Lite Brite for years!  Oh, oh...Spirograph.  That was the best!!  I actually have the updated version of that in my closet for Cubby to play with when she is just a touch older.

When I was joining my granny square afghan together the other night--or trying to--Captain commented that all that yarn reminded him of playing Cat's Cradle with string as a kid.  Anybody else??

Photo Courtesy of MomsMinivan.com

I don't know if you enjoy being dragged down memory lane with me all the time, but I sure enjoy the stroll!  Cherish your memories, my friends, sometimes it is all that will get you through a bad day.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment