Monday, March 23, 2020

Accentuate the Positve

Image courtesy of sayingimages.com
Hello friends, I hope this finds you well and healthy and surviving these challenging times.  I know that it is getting scarier by the minute. 

Amid the fear and unknowns ahead of us, there are two things emerging from this crisis that give me hope. 

One is how much deserved recognition is going to the trades as "essential industry."  Those who followed a vo-tech path rather than an undergraduate path.  And no, I'm not dissing people who have an undergraduate or higher degree.  I'm saying it's high time that those working in a trade get the recognition and appreciation they deserve.

Think about it.  Truckers, assembly line workers, farmers, welders, plumbers, electricians, HVAC technicians, grocery store workers.  Careers that for far too long have been looked down upon by many as less worthy than others.  Doctors and medical personnel along with emergency services professionals have always been held in high regard for their service to their communities.  Your local Kwik Trip or Hy-Vee truck driver getting the goods to the place where you can buy it...not so much until now. 

I remember a school superintendent telling me once during a time when budget cut talks were centering around the vo-tech/shop/ag curriculum.  He said he would fight hard to keep those classes and teachers because "someone needs to know how to fix the toilet." 

So, kudos to our blue collar citizens who are holding us together right now!

The other thing I've found heartening is how people are now using social media to connect and to build each other up instead of arguing and tearing each other down.  Whether it is tips and tricks to fight cabin fever (let me just say that I could have used those before I stooped so far as cleaning the bathroom) or family-friendly activities that parents and kids can do together for exercise and for education. 

The musicians who are performing on YouTube and Facebook to keep peoples' spirits up is amazing whether it is Garth Brooks, Keith Urban, or a small police force in Spain going out into their city and singing to neighborhoods. 

Will it get worse before it gets better?  Yes, I'm quite certain it will.  Will we start seeing some of the worst behavior of mankind?  Probably.  For right now, I'm going to embrace the positives that I can find and pray that this is over in as little time as possible, please God. 

Hugs to you all (and yes, check on the huggers in your world...we are NOT okay right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment