Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Mobile Devices



When did using a mobile device become the activity that superseded every other activity?  Why do people want to be a slave to an inanimate object and at the beck and call of anyone who can dial their number?


Even in the days before cell phones, when all we had was a land line (that is a phone with a cord attached to the wall, in case you were wondering), I maintained that the phone was for my convenience and no one else’s.  I have never risked life or limb to get to a ringing telephone, theory being that if it was a dire emergency, the caller will either leave a message or call back until such time as I answer the phone.  I am okay with that.  




Now we have cell phones…excuse me, mobile devices…because heaven knows you can do everything but change your oil with one of those things.  I understand why certain professions have their mobile device (hereafter referred to as MD) with them at all times.  They are called emergency personnel, and they need to know information immediately to provide protection and safety to the rest of us:  law enforcement, fire fighters, ambulance crews, and medical professionals.  I have no problem with that.  The rest of us have no reason to cart our MDs with us everywhere.  No lie, I saw a man surfing the Internet immediately after receiving communion at church just a couple of weeks ago.  Pretty sure he wasn’t trying to friend God on Facebook, so there was no excuse for him to be on his phone.  


Drivers who pay more attention to their MDs are a danger to the rest of us.  Let’s be clear:  this is not just a teenage problem.  There are a great number of adults who are slaves to their MDs even while operating a 2-ton piece of machinery.  Even the smart technology in new cars which claim a hands-free function is not the answer, because manipulating any electronic gadget or technology takes the driver’s attention away from his primary responsibility.  Those of us who still enjoy a good Sunday afternoon drive for the scenery are in the minority and on the way to being extinct, I’m afraid.  




Captain’s mom has threatened to have a basket at her door for everyone to put their MD in when coming for holidays.  They would not allowed at the table; no exceptions.  I think this is an exceptional rule!  Captain said he read somewhere there is a growing trend where if a group of people is out at a restaurant, everyone has to put their cell phone in the middle of the table, and the first person who reaches for their phone during dinner has to pay the bill.  Consequences for actions...I like it.  


Young Man is actually a more rabid person on this issue than I am, and at Princess’ recent birthday gathering, he got so fed up with her being on her iPhone instead of visiting, he got up and left.  I couldn’t really blame him.  


We have all heard stories of someone walking into a street light, falling into an open manhole cover, tripping over something, or any number of other mishaps due to being engrossed in a mobile device.  The worst infraction in my world is when we were sorting steers one afternoon--which is never an easy task when a dozen 1500-pound animals decide they don’t want to go in the corral--and Captain’s cell phone rang.  I am ashamed to say, not only did he answer it, but he proceeded to carry on a several-minute conversation while the rest of us tried in vain to get the steers rounded up.  Not the best day for family harmony, I must say.  


I will grant that MDs have made life simpler in a lot of ways, even for the tech-challenged such as myself.  Making a parts run to any one of a variety of area implement dealers used to involve conversation that involved words like “thingie” or “whatchamacallit” or “dealie bob” between me and the parts counter guy.  Now, thanks to my smart phone, I can snap a picture of whatever is broken, show the picture to the parts counter and say, “I need one of these, please.”  Makes life much simpler and promotes marital harmony, so I guess that is a point in favor of the MDs.  Guess I should have done that the day I went to Northfield and came home with the wrong part!


I saw a clip on the Today Show a few weeks ago about idiot criminals with smart phones.  This one chick had an app on her phone called Periscope.  From what I understand, it is a way to livestream your activities.  Why someone would want to is beyond me, but there you go.  Anyhoo, this chick was out drinking and then got in her car to drive home--still streaming live, mind you--and actually made the comment “Let’s see if I can get a DUI.”  Seriously?!


Answer?  Yes, she did because people who were watching her live stream called law enforcement who were then able to tap into the live feed and pinpoint her location based on landmarks.  


I’m not saying that I am innocent here because I carry a smart phone with me everywhere also.  Princess claims I am addicted to Candy Crush, which may actually have a grain of truth to it.  However, I try very hard to limit phone use when in a social setting.  


Mama Bear and I upgraded phones over the weekend, and I got  bigger, faster, newer smart phone that is so smart I am having trouble operating it.  I suppose that about the time I figure it all out...it will be time to get a new phone.  Darnit!


Maybe I need to realize that it isn’t the devices that are the problem, it is the users, and since I can’t control anyone else’s behavior, this is something I am just going to have to learn to accept.  But I don’t have to like it on Facebook—ooops, sorry—I don’t have to like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment