Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What's Your Poohsonality?



Did you know that there is a plethora of websites about the A. A. Milne characters of Winnie The Pooh fame and the theory that they were actually created to personify emotional characteristics? 

Think about it.

 
Pooh has low self-esteem which leads to his constant need for Hunny.

 
Piglet is phobic about everything.

Tigger has ADHD.

Owl is a narcissist.

Rabbit has OCD.

Christopher Robin is schizophrenic and can’t determine reality from fantasy.

Eeyore…well poor Eeyore is just down in the dumps constantly. 

So they are all pretty much a hotbed of mental disorders.  How do they all cope and survive in the midst of these challenges?  Yes, I know they are fictional characters…work with me here.

They support each other, and each character plays to his strengths.  If you need something organized, Rabbit is your guy.  If you want to exercise incessantly, find Tigger and he’ll set you up.  Pooh just makes everybody feel better because, even though he is “of little brain,” he is of big heart.


In Brogan world, we could be our own little Hundred Acre Wood because we cover most of those bases.  We’ve got a Tigger.  Some days we have two Rabbits, some days we have two Eeyores, and sometimes we have one of each.  We have a Kanga and a Roo.  We have an Owl, although I would use “wise” instead of “narcissistic” for her.  I can be a Piglet about some things, but mostly I’m stuffed with fluff so I can pull off the Pooh character pretty good. 

Except for that “think…think…think, think, think” thing he does.  I’m not a big thinker.  That’s Captain’s job; he’s the deep thinker in this house.  He thinks deep thoughts like:  who decided on what blue was?  How would you describe blue to a blind person?  What if blue was actually yellow? 

Me?  My deepest thoughts run along the lines of Is it okay to pray while you pee?

I am not and never have been an analytical person.  That involves the science/math side of the brain.  Ummm…hello??  I’m a writer…that involves the artsy-fartsy side of the brain. 


I’m all emotions and feelings and Captain is all logic and science.  Not that Captain is unfeeling; that’s not what I am saying at all.  I’m saying that I am not a thinker, and when I fly off into Irrational Land based on emotions and feelings, Captain is there to bring me back down to earth.  When Captain is being a little too uptight, I lighten him up with my innate whimsy and charm.

I think we could all take some lessons from Pooh and his friends.  It’s pretty basic.  Everyone has worth even while struggling with character flaws of some sort.  Find the good in everyone.  Recognize each other’s challenges and find ways to help your friends not just cope, but thrive, despite them.  Enjoy life and all the people in it whom you love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment