Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Supporting Local Businesses

Find what's near to your heart and close to your home with our "Locals Only" Business Search! Photo from Get Local Flavor.:

When it's time for an oil change in my truck--as it was recently--I make an appointment with Jason Andrist at Bird’s Auto.  I usually ask for the oil change along with a general checkup of tires, fluids, and all that stuff under the hood (see why I have a mechanic?) so I know the truck is in good shape for a long haul.  


I’ve taken my vehicles to Jason for almost ten years now.  I completely trust his advice and workmanship.  If Jason tells me something needs to be fixed right now, I know that it’s a true thing.  Often when I take my truck/car in to him, he’ll give it a once-over and then call me is we can prioritize:  what needs to be fixed right now because it’s a safety issue, what will need attention in the intermediate future, and what can really wait for quite a while.

The-purpose-of-a-business


Taking my car to Bird’s goes back to a philosophy that my Daddy told me, and my husband reiterated:  patronize your local small businesses, particularly the plumber, the electrician, and the mechanic.  Maybe it’s because, as farmers, Dad--and now Captain--are sole proprietors trying to make a living so they get it about owning your own business and the fluctuations thereof as well as the pride of building a solid reputation among your neighbors.


When I can, I make it a point to buy local.  I take my car to Bird’s Auto.  I buy (most of) my landscaping plants from Joel’s Greenhouse in Pine Island or Houstons in Kasson.  My plumber is Zumbro Valley Plumbing in Mantorville.  My well repair guy lives down the road from me.  If I needed a new well, I’d be calling Thein Well Company.  And let me just say that Troy at Hardware Hank in Pine Island has been my savior more than once when Captain has sent me in to get new nuts, bolts, or screws.  I can take the old item in with me and find Troy and tell him, “I need this.”  It saves me from bumbling about back in the nuts and bolts section making a mess.  Plus I get to find out how Troy’s family is doing and how business is for him, and most likely I will find something to buy for myself.  


I used to buy all my floral arrangements from Arel’s in Pine Island, but Ken and Barb retired about a year ago.  For awhile, I used Hy-Vee floral and was never disappointed.  Now Pine Island has a new florist called Tulips and Truffles which is my go-to place for floral deliveries.


When you support your local, family-owned businesses, you are supporting your community because those businesses pay taxes that are used to pay for streets, schools, and law enforcement.  I hope I'm not repeating some political campaign tag line, but when the businesses on main street are thriving, pretty much everybody is thriving.  When those businesses make money, they build houses and buy new cars and go out to eat in your town.  Everybody wins, so it only makes sense.

"...Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States."  ~Ronald Reagan:


I’m not saying there isn’t a time and a place to patronize the big box stores because, make no mistake about it, I have made plenty of middle-of-the-night trips to Walmart for this, that, or the other thing.  However, when you can, please join me in making buying local a priority.




Images from:
http://www.independentwestand.org/
http://thewowstyle.com/30-inspiring-and-successful-business-quotes/
www.pinstamatic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment