Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Telepathy


You know how they say when you live with someone long enough, you start to look like them?  If I could wind up as skinny as Captain, I’d be ecstatic.  It’d suck for him to put on [number deleted for my pride] pounds to look like me!

The same thing is true of thoughts.  If you have been married for any length of time, you can often finish your spouse’s thoughts.  

There have been many times when Captain has come to me and said, “Where did I put…” and I say, “In the bathroom closet, third shelf, left side.”  Or wherever it is that he put what he wants.  

Wives are better at this than husbands, I think.  It has to be tied into the Mom thing where you have eyes in the back of your head and telepathic abilities.  


Better yet is when you’ve told the same jokes to each other long enough that all one of you has to do is say just the punchline to send both of you into fits of laughter.  I’d say that’s pretty cool.

Let me demonstrate:  “No, run over me half an hour ago!” … Yep, Captain is busting a gut laughing!  

If you Google that phrase, you’ll find the joke and then you can laugh too!

With my kids, it wasn’t jokes, it was lines from Disney movies.  Watch, I can make them respond...well Molly will respond because Young Man doesn’t have Facebook.  

“...and Daddy….”  Okay, Molly, you’re up...give me the rest of it!


Best friends have this telepathic connection also.  One word, one phrase, one look and hundreds of thoughts are passed back and forth.  This comes from years of sharing secrets only best pals can keep in the vault.  

Let’s see if I can make this work too:  FOCUS!!  Yep, there are several people out there snickering.  I love it.


Sometimes, however, the matrimonial telepathic pathway is blocked.  I have found that this usually occurs when I have to help Captain by running levers for the hydraulics or PTO in a tractor while he stands outside by whatever piece of machinery he needs to check.  

Let me give an example.  A week or so ago, he was getting the corn planter cleaned up to be stored until next year.  He discovered that there was air in the hydraulic master cylinder.  I have no idea what that means, but apparently it’s a bad thing.  So he called me and asked if I could come out and help him “for a minute.”  Fellow farm wives...you KNOW what that means:  it’s going to be at least half an hour and probably longer!

I get up in the tractor cab, and he points out the lever that runs the hydraulics and tells me he will signal to push it all the way forward and hold it there or pull it all the way back and hold it there.  Sounds simple, right?  Nope.


A couple of times, he signaled to push it forward when that was where I already had it, and I’d be completely confused.  I finally just switched from forward to backward when he made any kind of hand signal.  

That worked fine until he did this too-da-loo finger wave thing.  Was I supposed to wiggle the level back and forth in rapid succession?!  Turns out he was just scratching his neck.

At any rate, we finally got it to do what Captain wanted it to do, and I was off the hook for any more help.  As I was climbing out of the tractor, I got the raised arm and bowed head signal that, in our world, means “thanks for your help, I’ve got it from here!”

I hope that you have any--or better yet all--of these kinds of connections in your life because it’s those things that make each day special!




Images used:

  • http://notsalmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/quote-telepathy-heart.jpg
  • http://boardofwisdom.com/cachetogo/images/quotes/609061.png
  • https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTneZK32uge7HpN6RwL02LU1U4SHH-qWy4aXm_UsLPJpf130HLdOw
  • http://boardofwisdom.com/cachetogo/images/quotes/161215.png
  • http://st.depositphotos.com/2656075/3354/i/950/depositphotos_33543451-Hand-signals-of-air-traffic.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment