Monday, November 13, 2023

Why Yes, Yes I Should!

 

Image courtesy of mememaker.net

This post is a spin-off or continuation or sequel to this post about planning for big-ticket expenses like home remodeling or vacations.

So, since that post in February of 2016, I have been able to save enough money to get the go from Captain on the kitchen remodel, and I am happy (okay, ecstatic is probably a better word) to say that later this month I will be ordering the cabinets for that project.  

We are getting all new cabinets and counters in the kitchen/dining room with that center island I talked about before.  In addition, we are getting a new dining room window and new vinyl plank flooring throughout the entire main floor except for the master bath and our two offices.  

When I met with the kitchen designer, I told him that I did not want upper cabinets on one of the walls because I am fun-size and cannot reach those cabinets.  I got a raised eyebrow about that but it's my dang kitchen and that's what works for me.  The cabinet space that is lost there will be made up by the center island and my new walk-in pantry.  

We are not changing the footprint or buying any new appliances other than a microwave range hood, so that helped keep the costs down.  The other cost saving part of the this kitchen remodel is our own elbow grease.  We--and I use the term loosely because it will mostly be Captain--will do the demo of the current cabinets and countertops, we will do the painting, and we will lay the new flooring. 

If you did the math to calculate the time from that first post to now, you will realize that I spent 7 years planning this.  I had to-scale drawings.  I had bookmarked photos in Houzz.  I spent hours scoping out kitchen displays at the big box stores in Rochester.  For all of my impulse shopping tendencies, I put a lot of thought and deliberation into this particular project.  Go me!

Photo courtesy of thediscoveriesof.com/travel-memes


The other planning project that is taking a lot of my time and attention right now and for the next three years is a trip to Aix les Bains, France, with my dragon boat team in August of 2026.  This will be my first international travel and since I do not do well with the unknown, I have been immersing myself in all thing European travel.

When Captain gently kidded me that I was wasting my excitement right now given that the trip is three years away, I reminded him that this tendency toward hyperfocus is part of my ADD struggles and he could just quit being a buzzkill.  

My absolutely favorite travel guide to watch on PBS is Rick Steves.  I just love his quirky views on off-beat places to visit and the practical budget advice he provides.  When I visited his website, I found a treasure trove of information including guidebooks for purchase which--of course--I immediately put in my shopping cart.  

There was also a travel forum where members could ask questions about European travel.  Since I have never been afraid of asking questions anywhere, any time.  Ask Molly about the shrubs I admired so much that I pulled into a complete stranger's driveway to ask what they were.

But I digress.

I promptly posted a question in the France thread explaining that I'd be there for a dragon boat festival and then I asked about day trip ideas from Aix les Bains.  I got some good answers that I can ponder over.  

The next day I was messaging a friend who will be traveling with me, and she told me about this tour guide she watched on YouTube named Rick Steves and on his website's travel forum, someone had just posted about going to a dragon boat festival in 2026 and I should check that out.  

This time I was the buzzkill when I told her that was my question.  We had a good laugh.  

In anticipation of international travel, I gathered up my drivers license, my passport card, my birth certificate, and my marriage license and went to our local county courthouse to apply for a passport book.  Turns out, because I already have a passport card, my request would be considered a renewal instead of a new request, and I could just fill out a form and mail it to the processing center along with my current passport card and a check for the fee.  

Hold it.  I have to send off my actual passport card?  Through the mail?  To some government center and hope to get it back?  Hmmmm....but, okay; if you say so.  I did take the precaution of sending it with a tracking number so I can make sure it got where it was supposed to go.  

Photo courtesy of deertravelssite.wordpress.com

Maybe the worry about that will dull the excitement of the travel, but I doubt it.  I usually lean a lot heard toward excitement than dread!

So, even though the trip is three years away yet, get ready to hear a lot more about the plans for it until it's wheels up to France!

Au revoir, mes amis!



No comments:

Post a Comment