Wednesday, July 29, 2015

4-H Memories

Tonight I am going to the fair to watch some friends’ grandchildren show cattle in the novice group of the open class Holstein show.  It will be like old home week because Captain and I were both 4-H members, and we both showed dairy cattle.  In fact, that’s how we met.  But that’s a story for another time.  
I showed cattle because my baby brother did, although he was into it and I was only in it for the socialization aspect.  I competed for four or five years and never got a state fair trip.  I’m not sure I ever even got a blue ribbon. Doesn’t matter, because I got better stuff.
Being in 4-H teaches you about hard work.  It doesn’t matter if your project is an animal, a pie, a dress, a photograph, vegetables, or a demonstration.  You can’t just throw it together the night before the fair starts.  It takes practice, practice, practice.  Days, weeks, months of practice.  
I remember doing posters every year for Junior Leadership.  Being a fly by the seat of my pants kind of person, I always thought that leave it to the end thing would work.  Lucky for me, my mom was smarter than that.  I learned a few essentials from her.  Have a plan, make a template, use a pencil first.  Whereas I would have just started writing or coloring on the poster board, Mom made sure I drew straight lines for the lettering, centered the focal image, and used stencils for the lettering.  My theory was always “It’s good enough” while Mom’s was “It can be better.”  If I earned a blue ribbon, it was thanks to Mom.  I also learned to strive for more than just “good enough.”
In 4-H, you learn how to do paperwork.  Many projects, particularly the livestock projects, involve detailed records of how much the animal is fed and what that cost, what the vet costs were, what the animal’s production was and what that was worth.  Other projects also require detailed explanations of costs, materials, and time spent.  Those records are judged at the county and state levels for accuracy and neatness.  A sub-lesson here is the that 4-Hers learn the value of money and how to get the most bang for their bucks.



One of the biggest things that a 4-H member learns that stays with them forever is public speaking.  Every member, from Cloverbuds (kindergarten) to the graduating seniors, is required to give a demonstration in order to participate at the fair.  This usually involves visual aids, an overview of the process involved in whatever project they are speaking about, and a finished project.  There is a question and answer session from other members at the end of the demonstration.  It is a terrifying experience for the majority of kids, but it is an elemental skill that is called upon later in life during interviews for things like scholarships and jobs.  I’ve had more than one hiring manager tell me over the years that they can pick out which candidates have been in either 4-H because their speaking ability is so much more advanced.  
But the best thing about 4-H?  Friendships that last for the rest of your life.  Between me and Captain, I can count, at a minimum, two...no three...dozen of our friends that we met through 4-H.  How freaking cool is that?  Maybe you don’t marry someone in 4-H with you like I did, but you never lose touch with your 4-H friends.  When they get married, you’re invited.  When they have kids, you get an announcement.  When there is a death in their family, you and other 4-H folks come out in droves for support.  And vice versa.  
Then the day comes when your kid and their kid are both standing in the show ring with a spring yearling, hoping for a ticket to the Great Minnesota Get Together.  Their kid snags a trip and yours doesn’t.  I can guarantee that simultaneously you and your kid will turn to the winner (or parent) and say a sincere and heartfelt “Congratulations, great job!”  Awesome.  

1 comment:

  1. Love the plug for 4H! Sadly the clubs keep getting smaller and there aren't as many projects anymore, but the lessons learned still stand.

    ReplyDelete