Monday, July 27, 2015

Lake Sakatah

We took the scenic route to Sakatah since we were in no real hurry, and this trip was supposed to be relaxing.  We meandered through Kenyon on the way to Faribault and made a quick stop at Hardees for lunch.  We had to hit the Walmart across the street because our Coleman lantern hasn’t worked the last three or four times we’ve tried it, so we decided to pick up a battery operated lantern instead.  While we were cruising up and down the sporting goods aisles, it hit me what I had forgotten to pack...camp chairs.  Lucky for us, there were some on sale!  
Loaded with the last of our essentials, including a new book for each of us, we went on to get checked into the park.  When we got to our site and started unloading, it only took two minutes to realize that the mosquitoes outnumbered us 1000 to 1 and we needed ammunition.  We didn’t even finish putting up the tent; instead it was back in the truck to drive into Waterville, two miles down the road.  Pondered stopping at a Caseys convenience store but decided to check out main street to see if there might be a hardware store.
Jackpot two blocks down...Hardware Hank!  I love hardware stores; they aren’t just for men anymore, my friends!  I would say this particular store has been owned and operated by the same person/family for decades.  It was one of those old main street stores where the aisles are so close together, if two people are in the same aisle they are standing in sin.  But let me say, if he didn’t have what you were looking for, you probably didn’t need it.  And such a friendly, helpful, delightful elderly man running the store!  He was genuinely interested in what we needed, why, and where we were from.  There was even a little “free” table of stuff out on the sidewalk, so I picked up a little book for Cubby.

Armed with our Yard Guard, we returned to camp and went to war.  After dispensing two-thirds of the can over as much of the site as we could, we went back to setting up camp and then decided to explore.  



We walked down the main road toward the showers, detoured through a different “loop” that had more campers and RVs than tents.  One family had a rousing bean bag tournament going on, and the pre-teen boy was kicking butt!  I am pretty sure that is because he was the only participant under legal drinking age...but I could be wrong about that.  No matter, they were having fun as family and friend, and I can appreciate that.  
After that, we decided to walk down to the boat launch and fishing pier area, but after maybe 500 yards, we turned back due to swarms of mosquitoes.  I even slapped one on the side of my head so hard I made my ears ring!  Darn things.  
Somehow when we are camping, we are both sleeping in the camp chairs by 9:00 and at home, it is usually 11 or later when we finally go to bed.  Must be the fresh air and starlight.  Anyway, in the tent, I was just getting to sleep...you know that floaty, dreamy, all-is-well state right before you get to sleep?  Something came crashing into the tent that sent me right into Chicken Little mode.  My mind ran the gamut from psycho squirrel to Bigfoot (don’t judge; childhood fears are REAL) to...what’s the name of the stupid dinosaur that used to routinely stomp all over Japan in the movies...whatever.  
When a second something came crashing into the tent, I remembered that the tent was pitched directly underneath a walnut tree and we were being bombed periodically.  Whew...better than a psycho squirrel!  I snuggled in and went to sleep.
The next thing that woke me up was rain pattering on the tent.  Thank heavens I remembered the rain fly this time or it would have been ugly.  As it was, we were nice and cozy right where we were!
Of course, just before dawn, I needed to...ummm...use the facilities.  Except the facilities were way down at the end of the loop and sort of a long walk.  In the dark.  By myself.  Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know I said I could put up with walking to a bathroom...just not in the dark.  Remember the immediate thoughts of….man, WHAT was that dinosaur’s name?!?!  Anyway, the fear goes back to some brainless babysitter when I was a kid who let me watch some horror movie about lizard people.  My fear of the dark has stayed with me ever since, making predawn trips to porta potties a dilemma.  
I could wake up Captain, but that just seemed rude since he was sleeping so peacefully.  Wait a minute, why are his feet in my face when his face was in my face when we went to sleep?  He turned himself around apparently.  Neither here nor there.  
I toss and turn for awhile hoping maybe I’m mistaken and I only think I need to pee.  Toss, turn, toss.  Nope, I need to pee.  Then I heard the birds singing, so dawn must be breaking.  Pretty sure Bigfoot hotfoots it back to the hills during the day.  Probably safe to venture out.  Suffice it to say, the new battery operated lantern kept all fears at bay!
We both waited until the sun was full up to crawl out of the tent.  I headed for the showers and Captain hung out at camp.  When I pack for camping and I contemplate toiletries, I always think to myself “It’s camping...who’s gonna care what I look like?” So I only pack shampoo, soap, and toothpaste.  I regret it every single time when I have no conditioner, no comb, and no hair ties.  Psycho squirrels got nothing on me with just-been-showered hair.  
The rain seemed to have quadrupled the skeeter population, so I refused to make breakfast in camp.  Besides, we hadn’t been prepared for the rain so everything from firewood to food was soaked.  Perkins, here we come!
Rejuvenated by food that someone else cooked and served, we returned to camp to break down and head out.  Rolling up the tent was a muddy mess, and I couldn’t get the sleeping bags rezipped.  Tossed it all in the back of the truck helter skelter and got the hell out of dodge.  
On the way home, we stopped at Big Woods state park outside of Nerstrand, also a repeat trip for us, but they have a waterfalls area a short hike from the picnic area.  Memo to anyone else visiting Hidden Falls...take the trail from the campground down to the falls and the trail to the picnic area up from the falls.  If you do it the other way around, you will look like this picture of me from last year (I'm the one way back there ready to die).  Just saying.

Mishaps, mistakes, and--you guessed it-misdeeds were all words of the weekend.  Even though it was less than 24 hours, it’s always good to get away.  But, boy oh boy, was it nice to come home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment