Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Happy Birthday, Captain!



I am afraid that in my quest for humor, I might paint an incorrect picture of my relationship with Captain.  It could appear by what may be written that I have little respect for this man who calls me Spouse.  

My birthday present to him today is this retraction/disclaimer because nothing could be further from the truth.  Don’t get me wrong, he will still have the starring role in many posts because--hey, he’s my only readily available target--but always, always, always in good humor, respect, and love.  

There is no finer man alive than the one I look at across the dining room table every night.  Never once in the years of our courtship and marriage has a single birthday, Valentine’s Day, or anniversary gone by without his sending or bringing me flowers to commemorate the day--sometimes hand-picked wild flowers. 



Those are the best!  

When I worked downtown and took my lunch to work everyday, at least once a week I would find a little note tucked into my lunch bag with some variation of "I love you" on it.  Who can have a bad day when that happens?

He may be the first to tease me about my lick-and-a-promise style of housekeeping, but he is also my staunchest motivator when I get down on myself.  He tries not to fuss if…when…I make an impulsive purchase.

He was right by my side through two births, holding my hand and encouraging me to that moment when we first saw each of our two children.  He never failed to kiss them good night and tuck them in.  He was their buddy, and they loved to romp and play with him.  The few times I ever scolded them for bothering Daddy when he was tired after a long day, he told me to let them be and let them play because they grow so quickly and will one day be too busy to play with dear old Dad.

Now I see him in a new(ish) role of Grampa.  One of Cubby's first words--after "Chewy"--was Grampa.  Captain is one of the few that she will consistently hug, kiss, and give knucks to.  The rest of us have to settle for whatever affection is left over.  

The other night he asked me if Cubby knew what ice cream was.  I said she liked ice cream if that's what he meant.  He said, "No, I want to know if she would know what I mean if I said 'Let's go get ice cream' to her."  Not yet, pal, but soon...very, very soon!

I have seen him work long, dirty, back-breaking hours to provide us with food, shelter, and clothing.  I have watched with pride as he received the second highest honor handed out by the National FFA organization.  I have seen him accept recognition as well from a local civic organization for his accomplishments in agriculture.

I am eagerly looking forward to the day in the not too far future when Molly says she wants to marry someone just like her daddy.  Then I can tell her that there is no other like her daddy.  He is special, he is unique, and he was gracious enough to let me share his life.  He is my husband, bless his soul, but above all else, he is my best friend.

Happiest of happy birthdays, Captain!

No comments:

Post a Comment