Monday, March 21, 2016

Hens and Roosters


We had a weekend filled with friends, family, and food.  Love it when that happens!

Friday night we decided, being good little Catholics, that we would have tuna melts.  Not usually my favorite, but we had a jar of tuna that Mike’s uncle had caught and canned, so we thought we’d better use that up.

I surfed the Internet for good tuna melt recipes because I have never had good luck with them...the bread is soggy, the tuna isn’t warm all the way through, and the cheese doesn’t really melt.  Can we say disgusting??

So I found a recipe on the All Recipes website that looked like it was worth a try.  I am here to testify it made the best tuna melts I have ever made in my life.  Super easy, too!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Toast the bread in the over during the preheat cycle.  Meanwhile, mix together your tuna salad.  Personally, we just like tuna, mayo, and sweet dill pickle relish, but you can do whatever you want with yours!  When the oven is preheated and the bread is toasted, take the bread out.  Spread the tuna mixture on one slice and the shredded cheese of your choice on the other slice (for however many sandwiches you are making).  Bake them open-face style for 7 minutes.  When you take them out of the oven, arrange the slices with the cheese face-to-face on the slices with the tuna.  Cut and serve.  Awesome!

Saturday morning I had my friend and her two daughters and her granddaughter over for coffee.  Well, the baby didn’t get coffee, but the rest of us did.  What a nice visit!  Captain made himself scarce because he didn’t want to be around for what he referred to as “the clucker party.”  Yes, I smacked him for that.  

Instead, Captain opted to go to a machinery consignment auction on Saturday, a typical event for him this time of year.  He didn’t come back with any machinery (thank goodness says my checkbook), but he did come back with all kinds of local scoop-and-poop.  

I don’t know why men are always so snide and snarky about women getting together to gab and giggle.  I think men are worse than women when it comes to gossip.

Captain can go to any given auction and not come home with a thing except who is doing what with whom, who has been injured or ill, who has parenting woes, who might be retiring, and who bought what.  That doesn’t sound like a business meeting/event to me; it sounds like a rooster party!

But I digress.

Saturday night, Big Brother and his wife had invited us to meet them for dinner/drinks at our establishment of choice.  Being that they live in the northwest section of the Cities, we opted for a close to halfway point at King’s Place Bar because Captain had heard--probably at an auction--that King’s Place had the best burgers in all of Minnesota, and he wanted to try it.  King’s Place is in Mieseville, a small town of 125 people just north and east of Cannon Falls.  On a side note and in keeping with the poultry theme I’ve got going on today, Mieseville is also home to the Mieseville Mud Hens, a semi-pro college baseball team.  Kind of like the Honkers in Rochester but in a different league.  


I have to say, the burgers were very good, and a mind-boggling selection of, I believe, over 70 different burgers to choose from.  Better than the food, though, was the company.  We got there around 6 p.m. and we shut the place down around 11 p.m.  That was when the waitress brought my soda to me in a to-go cup and wished us a good evening!  Ooops!

Sunday also passed without me having to cook a meal because we had errands to run in Rochester in the morning so we stopped at Godfathers Pizza for their lunch buffet and Mama Bear and Molly brought Hy-Vee take-and-bake pizza for supper when they picked Cubby up.  To top it all off, the host of a meeting I had last night sent home a large slice of the chocolate/custard cake with coconut frosting for Captain to have as a treat.  

Family, friends, and food.  It just doesn’t get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment