Thursday, March 10, 2016

March Madness



I am not a big fan of March.  There just isn’t a lot to get excited about in this month.  The weather is in that transition stage so you never know if it’s going to be summer or winter...or both...on any given day.

It’s ugly...brown and dreary.  Not warm enough for the grass to green up, and all the debris of winter is now painfully visible everywhere in my yard.

And it’s muddy.  The mud is everywhere!  As the ground thaws--and we are thankful for that--the mud gets deeper and deeper, and it coats vehicles and footwear, which ends up on my rugs and floors.  It’s just annoying all the way around.


There are a couple of nice things about March.  Spring training for baseball starts, and that makes me happy.  I’m not a football fan because there are too many rules, and it takes too long.  I can watch basketball, but I don’t understand all those rules, and it goes so fast I miss lots of stuff.  I get baseball.  It’s easy.  Hit the ball and run.  Pretty simple.  So I like March for that.

The other thing that happens in March is the seed catalogs arrive in my mailbox.  All that potential!  I pour over the catalogs and have thousands of ideas pop into my brain.  Then I total up my wish list and realize that once again my ideas far outstrip my budget.  Plus, really, I can get plants and seeds at my local nursery without paying shipping costs.  But the catalogs give me ideas and get me excited that spring is gearing up!

As I put my ideas onto paper the other night, I ended up with a long list, and yes, I will probably find more containers and have more ideas before I actually get to the nursery!  Just ask my children who had to mow around all my stuff when they were growing up.  Young Man especially got annoyed and frequently asked, “Why do you put so much sh** in the yard to mow around?”


I don’t care because this is my thing.  I enjoy walking around the yard each morning and evening and seeing how my containers are popping with color and texture, making our yard something fun to look at.  

One of these years I am going to put in a new flower bed between our house and Captain’s mom’s house.  It will be a full sun, three-season garden.  I found a design and plant list online, and if I’m pricing things right, this will cost a small fortune.  I may have to spread it out over several years as a work in progress or Captain will have apoplexy from the cost!


I don’t even know what all of those plants are or if they are even available in this area.  That’s why I will take the list with me to the nursery and ask an expert about it.  Or I might ask my good friend, Skippy, who is a certified arborist and a gardening whiz what she thinks about it.  At least then I will get an honest opinion and not a sales pitch!  


It’s something to look forward to in this dreary, drab, blah month of March!

No comments:

Post a Comment