Monday, September 26, 2016

Million Dollar Dreams

Image result for dreams

During a conversation the other night, the topic turned to winning the lottery.

Don’t fib...you know you’ve dreamed about what you would do if you won a potload of money in the lottery!  I know I have.

Image result for wealth meme

First thing I’d do is pay the mortgages for us and our children so no one had to worry about that the rest of their lives.

After that, I’d install a new furnace and central air in this house.  I’m getting too old to deal with heat and humidity all summer.  I just can’t take it anymore.

I’d set up a trust fund to pay for our grandkids’ college educations.

Then I’d turn my attention to the farm.  There would be acres of new cement poured at the Brogan Ranch.  No more slogging through knee-deep yucky stuff to load steers out on the truck!

Image result for cement truck

The existing barn and silos would come down by a professional crew with the silo pavers repurposed into a front yard patio under the maple and pine trees.

Then I’d pay a feedlot consultant to come in a design a system of pens where cattle could be easily moved around as they grew.  The hutches would be under a dome or other form of cover so there would be no more feeding calves in inclement weather.

Image result for feedlot designs

And then the piece de resistance:  a new shop for Captain.  Not state of the art, per se, but loaded with everything for his creature comforts.  

A large enough shop area that he can get the combine or any other piece of machinery in it to work on it.  Radiant in-floor heat and top-notch ventilation.  A hydraulic floor hoist.  Surround sound stereo so he can listen to Garage Logic from all four corners.  

Image result for machine shop  floor plans

And an office.  Maybe more of a man cave/den concept.  Desk, computer, TV, couch, fridge, and bathroom.  He could spend all day (or night) out there and be in pig heaven.

What would I do for fun, you ask?  I’d get the kitchen remodeled to an enviable state.  I’d put a roof over the front deck so I have a veranda complete with porch swing.

I might take a cruise vacation with Diane...one of the best travel buddies around!  Alaska...New England...Nova Scotia.  Who knows?!

Image result for new england cruises

Lastly, I’d buy land.  It is the one thing that is an appreciating asset versus a depreciating one.  Not so much land that I would be a real estate tycoon but enough that we could quit paying thousands of dollars in rent every year.  Of course, then I’d have to pay real estate taxes, but that’s okay.  It’s a small price to pay, relatively speaking, to get what I want.  

It’s nice to dream about maybes and somedays.  It can get me through a crappy day to mentally spend millions of dollars on whatever I want.  

Image result for dreams

For now, I need to make time to balance my checkbook, pay some bills, and then enter data in the farm books before harvest starts in earnest and things get crazy around here!

Images used:
http://www.pastorjoe.me/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dream-big.jpg
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-05-11-1462998353-3318632-thegreatestwealth.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ea/fd/b8/eafdb8b47cf058b5980ea49d930752eb.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/cement-truck-pour-pouring-patio-30864728.jpg
https://advantagecruises.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/canada-new-england-cruises1.jpg
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Rhiannon-Logsdon-dreams-9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment