Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Too Cute, Too Funny, and Two Years Old


Out of the three generations pictured above, guess who turns two years old today?!  I can’t believe that two years has flown by so quickly.

Cubby is starting to show her personality, and we’ll just say she is...independent.

She has decided she needs input on her wardrobe these days.  Given her choice, she’ll spend her days and nights in footie pajamas, which for someone her age is just fine.

On the off chance she agrees to wear regular clothes, sometimes she has to be guided away from a fashion faux pas.  Such as a polka dot onesie and pink camo pants.  

Then again, she might come by that naturally.  Her aunt Molly was much the same around that age and into her preschool years.  Molly, however, could never be talked out of whatever outfit she chose to wear.  

It got to the point that I made her a button to wear to preschool that said “I dressed myself today” just so I wouldn’t get blamed for the purple polka dots with orange and green plaids!

This is the same girl--Molly--who, ten years later, looked at me as I was heading to work and snarked, “You call that an outfit?!”  Folks, I had all the necessary components:  bra, underwear, shirt, pants, and hosiery.  Yes, it was an outfit.

Anyway, back to Cubby.  Her vocabulary is also expanding by leaps and bounds these days.  So much so that we now have to be careful what we say.  I’m pretty sure she said “holy shit” the other day right after I spit it out.  Ooops.

Her newest favorite word is “naughty.”  As a proud grandma, I can’t believe this is because she hears it often.  Most often, she pairs it with Chewy, as in “Chew naughty” when something gets knocked over.  Nice try toots, but I saw you tip that bowl over off the table.  

Image result for not me

My kids didn’t have household pets to blame when they were this age.  They either blamed each other (and I couldn’t prove it one way or another), or they put up a united front and blamed the classic whipping boys I Dunno and Not Me.  Did those kids live at your house too?

Image result for i dunno

Cubby’s birthday party is on Sunday.  I already bought her some new clothes--that she hopefully likes enough to wear--but I want to get her something in the coloring arena.

She has learned to hold a pen or pencil, and in the correct form, I might add--gripped tightly between her thumb and index finger.  Such a smart girl!


My first thought was washable markers and a pad of paper. Except she makes on little squiggle per page and then goes to a new page for another little squiggle. Seems like a waste of paper.  

Then my mind went to a fancier draw-and-erase kind of thing, such as the item above available at Target for under $20.

Then...THEN...my mind went back to my childhood and my Etch A Sketch.  I loved the Etch A Sketch!

Image result for etch a sketch

I made millions of designs on my EAS, but the real guru of the EAS was Big Brother.  He could make complicated geometric designs that filled the entire screen.  Sadly, somebody always came along and shook the screen clear.  I Dunno and Not Me were at it again!

This made me think of other childhood toys that have gone by the wayside for the current generation. Stuff like a real metal Slinky. Light Bright. Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots. The Putt Putt Speedway. Lincoln Logs. Oh, those were the good old days!

So, if any of you have experience with anything in the coloring arena and have suggestions for an age-appropriate gift choice, please let me know!

Images used:
http://www.alanjoelny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/not.me_.jpg
http://pre14.deviantart.net/8b21/th/pre/i/2011/239/4/e/lol_i_dunno_base_by_copy1cat-d480q0e.jpg
http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-19413732dt.jpg
http://cecilbuffington.com/images/etch_a_scetch.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment