Friday, June 2, 2017

A Visit With An Old Friend

Image result for grief quotes

I stopped in to see an old friend last night since it’s been awhile.

I told him about how much fun it was for us to see how his boys are growing up so fast, with his oldest one just turning 10 last month.  It doesn’t seem possible that he is that old already!  His youngest just had his preschool “graduation” program a week or two ago.  I asked him if he remembered us talking about our kids’ preschool programs.

I told him how Captain would have come with me but he was busy planting soybeans since it’s been a difficult spring with rain and cold and wind delaying planting a week or two.  He’s Captain’s oldest friend so he gets it.

I told him stories about Cubby and how fast SHE is growing.  Neither one of us find it odd that his kids are just a few years older than our grandchild.  He married later in life than we did, so all those parenting dilemmas are what he watched us go through 20 years ago.  

I told him how my mom was doing in Wisconsin near Baby Brother and Mae, and how that was the best decision we made for her.  He gets it because his folks are just a few years younger than my mom and are starting to depend on the younger generation somewhat to step up and help out once in awhile.  

It was good to talk to him for awhile on a warm summer evening, but I said there were things I needed to do at home.


So I said my goodbyes, laid a flower on his headstone, and drove out of the cemetery.  

Image result for grief quotes

Images used:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/9d/0e/7f9d0efc94a7953bbc9c9987aaba4fb2--baby-brothers-remembering-dad.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1a/2a/6b/1a2a6b472aa2a86e0d8efb09bda9910e.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment