Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day!

Image result for daddy quotes

It’s no secret that I was a daddy’s girl and pretty much reveled in it.  In my line-up of important people, there was God, and then there was Daddy.

That might be why Father’s Day is bittersweet for me.  Okay, I’ll be honest.  It’s hard.  

It shouldn’t be, I know.  I have a million precious memories of Dad.  His humor, his work ethic, his unstinting loyalty to family and friends.  Those are memories I treasure, and I generally drag them out of my memory box on Father’s Day.

This year, Father’s Day is just a little bit better because I have a brand new memory to ponder on.

We attended a graduation party for a neighbor’s son yesterday.  It was nice to visit with folks that we only see at “marryings and buryings.”  

We spent some time talking to Mike Chamberlin,  a long-time dairy farmer from north of Pine Island.  We, of course, hashed out the weird weather pattern that has been happening over the last week or so, and I mentioned the storm damage at Carlson Dairy near Willmar.

Image result for father quotes

Mike was trying to remember why the name Carlson was ringing a bell with him, so I explained that one of the Carlson brothers was married to Kindra Rott from Elgin, and Mike knew Kindra’s dad, Duke.  I saw the light bulb go off as he made the connection.

So then he asked me, “You knew Rott’s also, didn’t you”  You bet.  My dad and Duke were best friends and our families attended the same church, so we spent a lot of time together.

Then he told me a story I had not heard before about Daddy.

My mom and dad raised registered Holsteins (let’s hear it for Footprint Holsteins!) and had a fairly impressive reputation for quality livestock.  Twice a year in Rochester, there was a registered Holstein auction at the fairgrounds, and Daddy would sometimes have a heifer or calf for sale at the auction.

Mike said that one year’, he bought Daddy’s heifer at the auction, but before it was time to load her on a trailer for his farm, the on-site vet discovered that she had an abdominal condition that would require surgery.

Mike said my dad came to him to tell him this and to let him know that he--Daddy--would take the heifer back to our farm, have the surgery done there, and then only when the heifer was recovered Mike could come and get her.

Mike said he was impressed, even now, with that kind of generosity and honest dealing with a buyer.  He never forgot it for which I am thankful because now I have another precious memory of my dad to have in my thoughts next Father’s Day.

Captain and I are both strong believers that the spirit of a person who has passed is still present.  Knowing that those we love are never truly gone as long as they are remembered makes all those difficult days a little bit easier.

Image result for father quotes

I can’t close this post without saying Happy Father’s Day to Captain.  I’ve heard it said that a girl will often marry a man just like her father.  I’m living proof it happens.  Captain reminds me a lot of my dad with that same goofy, off-the-wall sense of humor; a strong commitment to faith, family, and friends; and a work ethic that just doesn’t quit.  


Congratulations to all fathers!  Keep up the good work and enjoy your special day.  May it bring you blessings and smiles for your memory box.  

Images used:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b3/02/a1/b302a15827ac8c4074d86bc467d142c8.jpg
https://weneedfun.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Father-Quotes-11.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/93/06/a9/9306a949abf23f73ae260ea4f1d4a7af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment