Thursday, June 29, 2017

Tech Talk

Image result for technology memes

When did writing a check become a social faux pas?
I consider myself a modern girl.  I embrace technology for the most part.  Computers?  We have three in this house.  Cordless phone?  Sure, even though we don’t use it.  Cell phones?  Let me just say…duh.  Digital cameras are the next best thing to sliced bread in my book.

Image result for technology memes
I have even ventured into online banking.  Slowly, yes.  But I do it. I still refuse to get eStatements, though.  
Debit cards?  Sort of.  This is the one area where I am old fashioned.  I need the paper trail of a check. Molly is the one who has urged and educated me on the benefits and advantages of a debit card, so I’m using that more than I used to.
Sadly, the rest of the world is light years ahead of me on this.  When I put gas in the car, I don’t pay at the pump.  I’d have palpitations if I had to try.  I go in a write a check.  What’s the big deal?  Money is money, right?  Oh no.  I can feel the waves of impatience coming off of not only the people behind me waiting to swipe their cards for their lottery tickets and donuts, but the cashier is tapping her foot and rolling her eyes.
I’m sorry.  Sue me.

Image result for technology memes


Writing checks seem to have gone the way of writing letters using paper, pen, and a stamp.  Or even little “thinking of you” note cards.  


It makes me sad to lose those pieces of yesterday.  Geez, I say that a lot.  I sincerely hope I am not entering that stage of life when every other conversation I have starts out “back in my day…” because I just don’t feel that old.  


But I digress.


Image result for technology memes

I have embraced technology more as the years pass.  I have a smart phone and I use it to check my email, my social media, send and receive text messages probably like the rest of you.

Given the recent cyber attacks, reverting to old fashioned paper, pencil, and other non-tech ways of keeping records is starting to look pretty good, isn't it? Not to mention good old green money...cash. Does anyone even carry cash anymore? I'm thinking all those people who live "off the grid" just might have it right.


Have you ever considered how dependent on technology we are?  Have you ever thought about what would happen if something catastrophic happened to the cloud or whatever it is that powers and connects all those devices?


There would be no cell phones for one thing.  More than that, even the necessities of life would be lost to us.  No electricity to run coffee makers, computers, panini makers.  No one would be able to buy groceries or gas because all of that commerce is dependent on technology and computers.  


Scary thought, isn’t it?


So I will use technology as much as I can, but you can bet the bank that I will have hard copy backups for everything because that’s just how I roll.  



Images used:
http://www.downloadfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/untitled-copy.png
http://memeblender.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Funny-Memes-Me-when-I-was-3.jpg
http://www.memefunnies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Old-people-and-technology.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxriFJFVZ4Dnmn5vUJUmMUdsLLQvdkI0j3bMdBgaNGV-eMm12-

No comments:

Post a Comment