Sunday, June 11, 2017

Happy Birthday, My Baby!




Happy, happy birthday to our first born, Young Man!  I am so proud of the man my baby boy has become.  

I remember the first night we had him home.  It was hotter than Hades that day.  I had practiced and perfected the mummy wrap before I left the hospital and was so proud as I laid him down in his bassinet that my effort looked just as good as the nurses’ had.

What I couldn’t understand was why he wouldn’t stop fussing.  He was fed, he had a clean, dry diaper on, he was all cocooned in his little blanket; what was the problem.

By midnight, I was at my wit’s end, in tears, and absolutely sure that I was going to be the world’s worst mother if I couldn’t even get through the first night without a crisis.  I finally woke Captain up and confessed that I didn’t know what else to do.

Captain meandered out to the living room and looked down in the bassinet at our bundle of crabby baby.  

“Well geez, the poor kid is hot!”  So saying, he unwrapped the blanket, took off the little jammies, and snuggled Young Man a bit before putting him back down.  

Where Young Man promptly stuck his diapered butt in the air, pulled his arms under his chest, and snoozed like...well...a baby.  That has been his favored sleeping position from then until now.  

It was a rocky start but we all survived it.  Even thrived.

Young Man is my sentimental sap, my cuddler.  Always has been.  He is the one who embraces all things historical from country music to ancestry.  He is the one who loves nothing better than to sit with the old folks anywhere, anytime, and listen to all of the “back in my day” stories they tell.

Young Man had his share of disagreements with his sister through their teenage years, but when push comes to shove, he is her fiercest defender.  I know this to be true because there is at least one person on this planet who got a come-to-Jesus talk from Young Man when he was in full Big Brother mode.  Let me tell you, when a 6-foot, 215-pound pissed off brother gets in your face...you will back down and behave.  Just saying.



Young Man is the Brogan grandchild most like Captain’s dad.  As he gets older, I can see it more and more in his speech and mannerisms.  It’s a bittersweet realization, knowing that Captain’s Dad is gone from this earth but alive and well in spirit and living on in Young Man.  

Family is first and foremost for Young Man.  Friends are an extremely close, sometimes indiscernible, second.  He is generous, kind, loyal, and hard-working.  I remember one time in high school or shortly after, he helped a friend groom his show heifer for state fair.  When they tried to pay him, he not only refused, he was somewhat insulted.  

At 26 years old, Young Man is a loving husband and father.  He works hard and plays hard.  He contributes to his community and always has a helping hand for those in need.



Reginald Patrick, we are so proud of you and love you beyond reason.  Best of everything to you always.  


Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment