Friday, December 11, 2015

Forgetfulness...it isn't just for the elderly anymore



Alzheimer’s runs strong in my mom’s family.  I have always been a little snide about thinking that I was spared that trait, not having that gene pool.  


Now...I’m not so sure.  


Pretty sure that sometimes my brain just whirls in neutral and doesn’t work.  




Take last night for example.  I went shopping for some new work clothes, seeing as how my new position is going to require weekly on-site attendance and the yoga pants and sweatshirt mode I have been in for five years just won’t cut it.


First stop was CJ Banks at Apache Mall.  To yank my chain, Princess calls this (if you shop there, please don’t be offended) the “fat old lady” store.  I don’t care what Princess calls it, I really like their stuff.  As usual, I found what I needed (pants and three layering shirts that were buy two, get one free).  SCORE!


Then it was on to Penney’s because you just never know what they might have.  I found a cardigan-type sweater without buttons on sale for $10.  Went in the dressing room to try it on, found out it fit, did a little happy dance and went and paid for it.  I had a couple of more stops along my way home at Target and Hy-Vee, so it was late when I finally hauled my load into the house.  I dumped all the bags in the middle of the kitchen floor and went to bed.  I was going through them this morning showing Captain what all I got...no CJ Banks bag.  


Hunh...must have left it in the truck.


Nope.


No CJ Banks bag to be found.  


Why, you might ask?  Because I left the stupid bag in the stupid dressing room at stupid Penney’s!  




You might think this is an overreaction on my part to a small problem.  I would beg to differ with you.


If this was the first time I had done this, or even the second time, I might agree with you. However, this is a consistent enough pattern on my part that it has become a family joke.  


I have left groceries at Hy-Vee.  I left two 50-pound bags of mulch on the bottom shelf of the cart at Menards.  I have left things at Target, Wal-mart, and Home Depot.  My children are lucky I didn’t leave them at the hospital after they were born!!


What the heck??  




I have two college degrees, I hold down a full-time job, and I raised two children.  Why can’t I remember to take all of my purchases home with me?  Geezaloo.


I do remember the important stuff, though, like birthdays and anniversaries so that’s a point in my favor, yes?  I (mostly) remember to pay my bills on time.  I can do all activities of daily living like bathe/feed/clothe myself.  


I don’t know why this one thing is such a problem for me.  I could try and blame it on holiday stress, but someone would call me out on that because it can happen--and has happened--at any time of year.  


So, in the future, if you happen to run into me shopping somewhere, please remember to ask me if I have everything that I bought with me when I leave!




No comments:

Post a Comment