Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Light Up Your Life





Lights have consumed a great deal of our days the last week.  Captain has been wiring our garage and finally got the lights working on Monday.  Now I don’t have to drive into a dark building and grope my way out without lights.  Always a good thing!  A garage door may be in my stocking this Christmas, and that would make me happy, happy, happy!


We got our lighted candy canes put up on the front deck.  I see that two are not working, but that’s okay...people driving by get the idea, I think.  I bought these at an auction a few years ago from a family who had a drive-through Christmas Light extravaganza every year.  Maybe I should ask him how to fix the ones that aren’t working?!  I also got some large lighted snowflakes at that auction, but those are a serious pain in the patoot to put up, so they are still sitting in the utility room in the basement.  Oh well.  


That’s the extent of my Christmas decorating so far.  I don’t know what the problem is, but I just haven’t found my spirit yet.  Maybe it’s because there isn’t much snow on the ground and it just doesn’t feel like Christmas.  Maybe I am still struggling with the time change with a touch of seasonal affective disorder thrown in there.  Maybe I need to get my Christmas music playlist loaded back on the iPod and immerse myself in holiday tunes.  Maybe I am just Scrooge.  




Young Man was getting in the Christmas Spirit on Saturday and stringing lights on their house.  It was all going well until he slid off the porch roof and dropped 12 feet feet-first onto the ground.  After an ambulance ride to Olmsted Medical Center Hospital, x-rays and examination, another ambulance ride to Saint Mary’s ER, more x-rays and more examination...the diagnosis was a severe dislocation of the ankle bone.  They got it put back where it belongs and splinted in the ER, but surgery is still a possibility.  This will be decided at his followup appointment next week after the swelling has gone down and they can see what’s what.  Think good thoughts!


My dad was always The Christmas Spirit in our house.  He even did his own Christmas shopping, and it was always my job to wrap Mom’s present from him.  This usually happened on December 24 about 2:30 in the afternoon.  Most of the time it wasn’t too bad, but one year he bought her new luggage.  You tell me how you wrap a suitcase?!  I got it done, but it wasn’t pretty.




I learned how to wrap presents from my Mom.  I could get a job at any high-end department store that offers wrapping services.  My mom taught me you have to measure twice and cut once, and if you make the proper folds, you only have to use a minimal amount of tape.  She tried to teach me how to make bows by hand, but I never got the hang of that.  




My family is trying something different this year for Christmas, and we are all going to the Water Park of America by the Mall of America over New Year’s weekend.  We’ll splash around in the pool(s), hang out in our rooms and visit while drinking adult beverages (for those who are old enough), and maybe go bowling.  Just spending some time together is the important part.


I have tomorrow off, and Captain and I are going to finish decorating and perhaps buy our tree.  I still have won the artificial-versus-real argument yet.  Some years, we have had the Charlie Brown pitiful tree.  Some years we have had to tie the tree to the curtain rod to keep it from falling over.  But more years than not, we have a lovely little real tree lit up in our living room window for passersby to notice.  




Mostly, I am pretty sure I just need to get the Christmas tunes going.  How can I be Scrooge in the face of Snoopy’s Christmas Song?!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pxw-RbdUow


Or how about the Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Beethoven meets Motley Crue) doing Wizards in Winter?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLOh44P5z0

Turn it up, get your Christmas groove on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment