Monday, December 7, 2015

The Gift of Giving


Today is a comp day for me at work because I worked the weekend.  I am happy and excited to say it is the last weekend I have to work because, after 18 years as a medical transcriptionist, on Monday, December 14, I will be transitioning to a new position in Documentation Services as an administrative assistant.  

This means that I will still be able to work from home four days a week but go onsite one day a week.  I think maybe it will be nice to have one day out and about with someone other than Captain.  Not that I don’t appreciate being at home with him, but different perspectives and viewpoints keep things interesting.  


It will also give me a reason to dress up and be a girl one day a week right down to hair spray and makeup instead of throwing on jeans/yoga pants and a sweatshirt every day and pulling my hair back in a clip.  Sometimes having to make the effort to get spiffy is a good thing!

I will not miss working weekends, but I will sort of miss having a comp day during the week.  My new job will be straight Monday to Friday 8 to 5, but I am consoling myself that that one day a week I go onsite can be my errand day, instead of having to make a special trip to town for errands.  It all works out.  

Last Thursday was also a comp day, and I spent that day putting up Christmas decorations and trying to find my Spirit.  I spent some time loading my iPod with Christmas tunes, only to find out that the bulk of my tunes are not on our desktop PC, they are on my really, really, really old laptop.  There’s a problem.

First I had to actually find the laptop and once I had, I discovered that the battery was dead and I could not find the charger for it anywhere.  Somehow in all my wisdom, I must have put it in the electronic waste pile last spring and hauled it to the dump.  Stupid - 1; Brogan - O.  

So I thought I’d just be cagey and borrow the charger for Princess’ laptop.  Nope, different size plug in thing.  Well, crap.  Now any Christmas Spirit I might have mustered up went right out the window in frustration.  


Lucky for me, according to the Walmart website, they sell replacement chargers for the laptop (actually and IBM Think Pad), so I’ll have to stop there in my travels today.  I NEED THOSE TUNES!!  

I was wracking my brain trying to remember why on earth I put them on the laptop instead of on the PC, and I remembered that our PC CD drive no longer opens, and that’s what is on my laptop...I burned a dozen Christmas music CDs onto the laptop.  


One of my favorite Christmas CDs is the most recent one by Trace Atkins.  It is amazing.  He does a rendition of The Little Drummer Boy and drops way down to his lowest bass tones...whew, gives me shivers!  He has a female Celtic group singing background vocals that are awesome, too.  

The other CD that is on that laptop that I have to have to get through Christmas is Trans Siberian Orchestra “The Lost Christmas Eve.”  


As you can see, this is a major crisis for me!!

Maybe it isn’t the music I need (although I really, really, really want it), maybe I need some retail therapy because isn’t Christmas about giving?  Don’t get me wrong--I like to get presents as much as the next person.  But I just love giving gifts.  We try very hard to avoid the gift card fall back and actually give a wrapped gift.  There is just something special about seeing someone rip into wrapping paper and finding something just for them inside.  

I am also behind this year on my Red Kettle contributions.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t pass a kettle without putting something in.  Sometimes it might just be a few pennies and sometimes it might be a $5 bill.  It just depends on what I have in my pocket at the time.  There’s that giving thing again.  


I haven’t even ordered my Christmas cards yet.  That’s for tomorrow.  I had the devil’s own time finding a picture with both Captain and me in it, because usually I am the one running the camera.  I finally found one from a camping expedition this summer.  It’s not spectacular, but it shows who we really are.  

Whatever your tricks are for getting the holiday spirit, I hope that the spirit of giving is part of that because it really is true...it is better to give than to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment